Wednesday 15 August 2012

Blueberry Muffins

I have to admit it - I have never tried a blueberry! Or a blueberry muffin! Crazy?! I am not a fruit lover, it's the texture rather than the taste. I can do crunchy, so apples are fine. But I can't do soft, bananas are a no no! So a blueberry just seemed wrong. But after seeing blueberries on offer in a supermarket and constant pressure from Craig, I decided to make muffins with them. It didn't seem to tricky, so I did it with the children. Here's how we did it.




Ingredients;

100g fresh blueberries
100g caster sugar
100g margarine
300g self - raising flour
1tsp baking powder
2 eggs, beaten
1tsp vanilla extract
140ml milk

Method;
  1. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with muffin cases and preheat the oven to 160C
  2. Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy and add the eggs, one at a time
  3. Add the milk and vanilla extract then fold in the flour and baking powder to make a thick batter. I have always been told to not over mix when it comes to muffins and not to worry if there are any lumps.
  4. Add the blueberries and spoon the mixture into muffin cases. I always use a ice cream scoop to ensure I get the same amount in each muffin case.
  5. Bake in the oven for 30 mins, then remove and leave to cool
These were a hit with the children and Craig and.......... I loved them! The blueberries sort of, burst, so it's almost like jam inside. And the blueberries give such a wonderful colour, it was lovely seeing the children eating them and the bluey/purple juice run down their chin and hands - they thought it was hilarious! I will definitely make these again - what a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment